Take Rapaport Magazine’s annual test and find out.
1. With Hong Kong restricting travel due to Covid-19, the September 2022 Jewellery & Gem World (JGW) show took place in which alternative venue?
A. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
B. Manila, Philippines.
C. Shenzhen, China.
2. Taché and Samir Gems prioritized quality over size when they produced 67 diamonds from the 910-carat Lesotho Legend rough. How big was the largest polished stone in the final collection?
A. 77.35 carats.
B. 78.35 carats.
C. 79.35 carats.
D. 80.35 carats.
3. The Gemological Institute of America (GIA) announced it would make all its grading reports paperless by which year?
4. What did Chow Sang Sang call its new e-commerce site for lab-grown diamond jewelry?
A. Future Perfect.
B. Future Progressive.
C. Futures and Options.
D. The Future Rocks.
5. Large-stone legend Johnny Kneller died in January at the age of 75. In which manufacturing firm was he a partner?
A. AMC Diamonds.
D. Samir Gems.
6. What process must diamonds undergo outside of Russia to be technically exempt from US sanctions?
A. Cargo declaration.
B. Substantial transformation.
C. Substantial translation.
7. What price did the De Beers Cullinan Blue fetch at Sotheby’s in April?
A. $37.5 million.
B. $47.5 million.
C. $57.5 million.
D. $67.6 million.
8. “As we tested bridal [lab-grown] product, it way outperformed anything in our wildest imaginations — [it] way outperformed fashion [jewelry].” Which executive said these words at February’s Dubai Diamond Conference?
A. De Beers CEO Bruce Cleaver.
B. Helzberg Diamonds CEO Beryl Raff.
C. Lightbox CEO Steve Coe.
D. Signet Jewelers CEO Gina Drosos.
9. How much did Signet Jewelers pay to acquire e-tailer Blue Nile?
A. $360 million.
B. $390 million.
C. $420 million.
D. $450 million.
10. Stephen Lussier, who retired as De Beers’ executive vice president for consumer markets this year, was known for which marketing phrase?
A. The diamond desire.
B. The diamond dream.
C. The polished passion.
D. The diamond vision.
Answers: 1. D; 2. C; 3. C; 4. D; 5. C; 6. B; 7. C; 8. B; 9. A; 10. B
Images from left: Necklace with a diamond cut from the Lesotho Legend (Van Cleef & Arpels); The 15.10-carat De Beers Cullinan Blue diamond (Sotheby’s); Former De Beers executive Stephen Lussier (De Beers)